First day of the week?!

In among the mysteries of the world, here I add(or rather point) another one.

Which day, is the start of the week?

Sunday or Monday? Or some other day!

Me and my friends had this debate during tea time, about a month ago. And, since then, I am desperate for an answer.

I was in favor of Monday as the first day, because the first day of the week must be a workday. I mean, no one rests on the first day of the week(being it a Sunday).

I even recall a reference made to the creation of the world. If I am not wrong, here is how it goes.

The Lord created the light on the first day of the week. Something else on the second day of the week and so on. And finally, he rested on the last day of the week(I don't know from where I caught this but it resides somewhere in my subconsciousness).

My friend simply backed up Sunday saying that most of the calendars start form Sunday. Yes, okay, agreeable, I thought.

Reaching home(we don't have one in the hostel), I checked out the calendar hanging in the hall, and you know what, it started on a Monday. I then checked the calendar on my laptop, and it pointed the same. But, my phone calendar said otherwise.

Contradictions!!

Every time, any doubts start clouding my mind, I storm Google with my searches.

My reference to the creation of the world seems right without the explicit mentioning of whether it is a Sunday or Monday(Good work there, subconsciousness).

Monday is declared as the first day of the week according to the international standard ISO 8601. But still, in some countries(including India) it is counted as the second day of the week.

So, repeating my question, which according to you, is the first day of the week?

Well, you don't have to storm Google. Just answer with your gut feeling. What do you think it is?



Want to know what the majority of other people think? Head here for a Detailed Report.


This may interest you : In German, Wednesday is called "Mittwoch", literally "mid-week", implying that weeks run from Sunday to Saturday.

Comments

Popular Posts